October 06, 2008

Fighting Depression

 
I know something about this and want to share what I have learned in an effort to help anyone suffering with this struggle. I have lost years to depression. Life just went askew and I couldn’t figure out how to fix it, not even an inkling of a plan to try to fix it. Unable to see ANY way to move forward, I felt like I was falling down a DEEP DARK well and I didn’t find anything that helped. I was hoping to find something, anything , like a root or a rock in that well, something I could hold on to that would stop my free fall. I somehow knew that I had to reach the bottom before I could even begin to climb out or this dark place. I wish I had know then what I know now. This may sound too simple to be true but PLEASE try it. There is a way to force light into that darkness. Start by making a list of everything that brings you joy. List things from your childhood up to this present day, that have given you joy. Add to your list every time you have a hint of feeling blue. When you can’t think of any thing else, list the things that you think would bring you joy. When this list is finished, share your joy lists with a friend and ask them to make and share their joy list with you. You will be amazed how much better you feel just thinking about joy. Sharing your joy list with others is also uplifting as is hearing about their‘s. When ever possible, go out and do something on your list. Make wonderful memories in this life that you can relive when you need to. If you do this, you can shine so much light into that darkness that the darkness can not live. You will find that you are giving less power to the negatives in your life and living a more joyful life. Happiness is just a state of mind and we must choose it for ourselves by being grateful for the little things and truly appreciating what we have, not spending time or giving energy to what we don’t have or what has gone wrong. You can truly think yourself into becoming a happier person and happier people attract happy people. You can think about this as growing a garden. The things that you water, weed and feed will thrive and grow the things that you neglect and don’t nurture will become ill and die. Go out and tend your garden, nurture all that is good especially joy and love and neglect all that is having a negative effect on you. Try not to give any power to the negative things. You can choose to live life as a victim or become a victor. Life is short, don’t waist a day in darkness. Believe me this joy list works. When you rid yourself of the darkness and keep adding joy to your life, you can become a light house shining your light on others.

Littlelight09 “This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.


Seen on www.blogtalkradio.com